Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Robert H. Barlow and H.P. Lovecraft

One of my favorite (non-Mexican) historians of central Mexico is Robert Barlow. Most archaeologists working with Aztec materials are most familiar with his The Extent of the Empire of the Culhua Mexico. His collected works are a valuable addition to the library of any scholar or student. Anytime I am in Mexico City, I usually end up buying at least one volume from the INAH bookstore.

However, I did not know until very recently that Barlow was a friend and collaborator of H.P. Lovecraft, one of my favorite horror authors (at least when I was younger). This knowledge has revitalized my interest in the works of both individuals. Particularly, I am interested in the effect that this relationship (as well as his interest and work in this genre of writing and his poetry) had upon his historical studies of Mexican history (as well as the effect Barlow's interest had upon Lovecraft!).

or am i just looking for new avenues to procrastinate other obligations............well, at least it's seasonal....

Barlow, R.H.
1949 The Extent of the Empire of the Culhua Mexico. University of California Press, Berkeley.

Joshi, S.T., and David Schutlz (editors)
2007 O Fortunate Floridian: H. P. Lovecraft's Letters to R. H. Barlow. University of Tampa Press, Tampa.

2 comments:

  1. https://www.facebook.com/groups/113223852703498/ This little group is devoted to promoting the works and reputation of Mr Barlow. Do join us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! und die HP

    ReplyDelete